Sep 27, 2014

The Infinite Sea

16131484The Infinite Sea
By: Rick Yancy
Series: The 5th Wave (Book #2)

How do you rid the Earth of seven billion humans? Rid the humans of their humanity.

Surviving the first four waves was nearly impossible. Now Cassie Sullivan finds herself in a new world, a world in which the fundamental trust that binds us together is gone. As the 5th Wave rolls across the landscape, Cassie, Ben, and Ringer are forced to confront the Others’ ultimate goal: the extermination of the human race.

Cassie and her friends haven’t seen the depths to which the Others will sink, nor have the Others seen the heights to which humanity will rise, in the ultimate battle between life and death, hope and despair, love and hate.


My Rating:
4.5 Bows

My Thoughts:

I will start this review with my generic thoughts and feelings, but then I will continue and talk about a big spoiler.  Don't worry - I'll let y'all know when those are coming.

Overall, I really enjoyed this book even though it was pretty short compared to The 5th Wave.  In some aspects, I liked this book more than the first book.  Likewise, there are some things in The 5th Wave that I missed in The Infinite Sea.  I think the first book is more action packed while this book messes with your mind a little more.

I did appreciate the fact that this book was on the shorter side for one reason alone - there was no "fluff".  Sometimes writing the second book in a trilogy can be hard because you are trying to connect the events of the first book with the amazing finally of the third book.  This often creates a lull, and I think that authors write unnecessary stuff to amp up their book pages.  I liked how this book was to the point and so fast paced that it left me wanting the third book immediately.  Really, we have to wait for August 2015 for the last book!?!?

We also see other points of views that I liked which added more depth to the story.  Where this book was headed, we would not be able to make this final leap without the different pov's from these characters.  However, there wasn't as much Cassie time as I wanted.  I love Cassie's inner voice and wish I would have gotten to hear it a little more throughout the book.  

As this is the second book in the series, this review will now contain some spoilers.  So I highly recommend that you read The 5th Wave and The Infinite Sea before continuing on with this review.

So all I really want to talk about is the ending...OMFG!  My brain is officially confused, and I have no idea what is going on anymore!

Ringer comes to the conclusion at the end (through Vosch's help) that the aliens don't actually exist.  If the aliens had really wanted to wipe out the human race, all it would need was a meteor to kill us like the dinosaurs.  Why would aliens go through some sick and twisted game to eradicate the human race?  Humans are actually doing this to one another, and, if this is true, there really might not be any hope.


However, I'm not too sure if I believe this.  So, Evan is really a human but with the government technology believes that he is an alien, can speak another alien language, can transport his "existence" into another being, and has an idea of his past alien lives?  What about the mother-ship in The 5th Wave?  Where did that come from?

I mean...I guess it could be true and what a wonderful way to mindfuck the entire human race (and the readers).  It kind of does make sense, and now that Ringer was injected with the 12th sense serum I can see how it would happen.  But there are still a few questions left unanswered about this.  What makes Ringer so valuable to Vosch, and why does Vosch want to get Evan back?  What makes those two (especially Evan) so important?  If they are human, would the government ever tell them that they were not aliens and how would they react?  Who is Vosch really?  SO MANY QUESTIONS!

I keep switching back and forth between if I think it's all a hoax, or if they really are aliens.  Can we trust Ringer's point of view?  Vosch really got under her skin.  I wonder if her reasoning is what Vosch wants her to believe, or if it is the truth.  But why would he tell her the truth just to set her free to find Evan and the gang?

I could go on and on about this forever without coming to a real conclusion.  I love that we have NO IDEA where the next book is headed, what's going to happen, and if we are being told the truth. I LOVE IT SO MUCH because it is so different than anything I have read before.

Let me know your thoughts and theories in the comment section!



No comments:

Post a Comment